Welcome to Internet Marketing Lesson #3!
In this series I’ll be going over the essential elements needed to market your services or products business online – in order from zero to your first sale! I’ll document the steps I go through and tell you which tools I use to get started, to get ramped up, and to get selling.
In today’s lesson, we focus on getting your first WordPress installation up using Bluehost’s “one click install”. See also Lesson #1 (“Lesson 1: Getting the best Domain Name and Tools to help you do it“) or Lesson #2 (Lesson 2: How to Connect Your Domain Name to Your Hosting Account).
Below are the steps to follow to set up Self-hosted WordPress on your Bluehost hosting account (via one-click):
If you would like to do a more secure manual install (instead of the one-click install), here are some links to help you through that process:
Here are the details for the one-click installation:
1) In your control panel, find “Simple Scripts” Installations and click on WordPress.
3) Find the area that says “Install WordPress”.
4) Follow the steps below for the settings. I always click on advanced options to name the site or blog, to change the username and to create my own password.
5) Once you press “Complete, you’ll get the details to connect to your site (you should get this via email too).
6) Here is the URL you’d go to to get access to your site.
7) Here’s what it will look like once you’ve logged in. This is your WordPress dashboard.
8) To see the actual site, click your site’s name and “Visit Site”.
Resources mentioned in this post:
- Buy domain names: GoDaddy
- Hosting WordPress: Bluehost
- WordPress premium themes: StudioPress, Woo Themes, Theme Forest
Ready to get started?
So are you ready to get started with your new website? Let me know in the comments if you have any questions and please share this with your friends who are just getting started and need a little assistance!
Tom Treanor is the founder of the Right Mix Marketing blog. He’s the author of the Search Engine Boot Camp, the co-author of Online Business Productivity, and regularly speaks at industry and corporate events. His writing has been featured on the Content Marketing Institute, Social Media Examiner, Copyblogger and other leading industry blogs.