Launching an eCommerce business and finding success with it isn’t an easy task. There are currently between 12 and 14 million eCommerce websites in the world, and it can be hard to make a profit with so much direct competition.
If success and profit are your goals, you need to think about conversion rates. In fact, the main goal of every eCommerce store is to increase conversion rates.
A conversion rate is the percentage of website visitors who complete an action on your website, like making a purchase, sending a message, signing up for a subscription, or leaving comments on your website.
But high conversion rates aren’t something that will just happen by itself when you start an online store. There are certain things you, as an eCommerce business owner, need to do to get your conversion rates as high as possible.
Start with website design
Website design is one of the most crucial parts of the eCommerce world. Your website needs to be visually appealing and easy to use. Otherwise, customers won’t even bother staying on it.
If you have a poorly-designed website, your conversion rates will be extremely low even if you do have great products. While web design trends change constantly, there are some rules that you should always follow when you’re making your website.
- Easy navigation. Don’t confuse your customers with a complicated website that is hard to navigate through. Instead, keep everything simple and straightforward.
- Appropriate colors and fonts. Bold and bright colors, as well as hard-to-read fonts, will distract website visitors from the action you want them to complete. They can also make your website look visually unappealing and unprofessional.
- A responsive design. Over 40% of online transactions are done via mobile devices. Since such a large number of customers will access your website through their mobile phones, you need to make sure that it will work and be responsive on all types of devices.
- A slow-loading website. In this fast-paced world, people are impatient and want everything instantly. If your website takes too long to load, potential customers will rather leave it than wait for it to load.
Price your items accordingly
While it may be your goal to make a lot of money, you need to have reasonable prices for your items. Unless you sell one-of-a-kind products, there are many other eCommerce stores that sell the same products as you do. And some of them even sell them at a much cheaper price.
If potential customers realize your items are more expensive, they will simply go to one of your competitors. To avoid this, do research on how many similar or identical products cost at competitor stores and adjust your prices. Keep them at or below the average price for the best conversion rates.
This is especially important if you’re just starting out and need to break into the eCommerce world. Great prices will give you an advantage over your competitors who overcharge. However, don’t set your prices too low, as you still need to make a profit.
There is one huge difference between eCommerce and regular stores. When people shop online, they are only presented with an image and description of the product. Because customers can’t see your products in person, you need to keep them informed about what they are buying.
You need to keep your customers “in the know” so they can feel comfortable doing business with you. Here are the best ways you can do this:
- Product descriptions. Write as much about your product as you can to really bring it to life. Highlight the most important features and provide all the information available. If you communicate this information to customers effectively, they are more likely to click that “purchase” button.
- An FAQ page. If you keep getting the same questions about your products, provide the answers in a convenient FAQ page. Customers will have the information much quicker than they would if they sent you a direct message.
It’s also important to respond to all comments, questions, and complaints you might get on your website. Not only will this keep your customers informed, but it will also show that you care about them and customer satisfaction.
Provide high-quality images
Images of your products are just as important as their descriptions and for the same reasons. Images can do a lot for online sales and, in turn, conversion rates. You need to provide your customer with a visual representation of your product that will be high-quality, but also accurate.
So how can you make sure that your images are going to increase conversion rates?
- Use a high-quality camera to take product images or hire a professional photographer.
- Photograph your product next to a neutral (preferably white) background
- Upload interactive images that allow customers to zoom, rotate and scale the picture.
- If the product comes in different colors, include images for all varieties.
- Use multiple angles to show the product in the most realistic light.
Offer incentives to your customers
Some customers might have a harder time to decide whether or not they want to do business with you. They might like your products, but they also can’t seem to make up their minds about taking the final step. These customers need something to motivate them, and that is exactly what incentives are for.
Incentives are a powerful tool that can even double eCommerce conversions. They are special benefits you can offer to customers that will encourage them to see your business as trustworthy and in turn, this will increase your conversion rates.
Some of the best incentives you can offer include:
- Free shipping. It’s important to follow shipping trends, and free shipping is the most popular option. Customers want to spend the least possible amount of money, so free shipping will make them feel better about their purchase.
- Free gift with a purchase. Including small gifts or even free samples will make your customers feel appreciated and valued.
- Money-back guarantee. Customers tend to trust companies that have money-back guarantees more than those that don’t. This shows that you are ready to protect your customers and that you are confident in your product’s quality.
- Discounts. Offer a reduced price for returning customers or those who are buying a large number of the same item. This will make customers feel like they got a special deal and will probably return to your business again.
Create a feeling of urgency
Customers love sales and discounts, but they love limited-time offers even more. By adding countdown timers on your website that shows the remaining time until a special sale is over, your chances of an increased conversion rate will skyrocket.
These timers create a sense of urgency and even scarcity, both of which encourage customers to make a purchase. They can also be used to signify that an item is about to be sold out and out of stock, so this would be the last chance to acquire it.
It’s not hard to create a successful eCommerce website with high conversion rates, you just need to know the right tricks. Hopefully, this post will be of some help to you.
On the other hand, if you think these tricks are too complicated or you don’t want to do the hard work, you can always search for an eCommerce website for sale. That way, you will get an already established business that will make you profit.