It’s important to provide valuable content to your readers on a regular basis. They’ll take something away and you’ll get the benefits of a broader social presence and the opportunity to rank in the search engines. But some days your inspiration for a great blog post ideas may dissipate…
With that in mind, here are 31 ideas for ways to find great business blog ideas. What others would you add? Let me know in the comments.
- Every day, everywhere. Keep a “blog post ideas” notebook or document and capture all of the inspiration you find, wherever you are.
- Website Analytics: Check your analytics and the keyword phrases used to find your site – write a post about one of those phrases.
- Search on Google – see what comes up for certain phrases. Dig around on those sites for inspiration.
- Use the Google keyword tool (or other keyword tools) to see what people are searching for you in your industry. Consider writing about longer tail keyword phrases.
- Use the Google Trends tool to see what things are on the upswing as far as interest.
- Look at Amazon book titles or tables of contents to get inspiration.
- Look at Amazon reviews to see what else people would like to know.
- Find ideas inside books on your topic.
- Look at blogs that get a lot of comments. See what topics they would like to know or like talk or ask about.
- Use AllTop.com: search by industry and look at top blogs there and what kind of posts they’re writing (can even be in a different industry).
- Use Reddit, Delicious and StumbleUpon to find articles or topics that inspire you.
- Do searches on Twitter.
- Convert old articles, white papers, and portions of books into posts.
- Look at competitors or other industry posts – make a better, expanded or slightly different post.
- Repurpose a blog post into a video or presentation.
- Look at the questions people ask in relevant LinkedIn groups.
- Look at answers sites – like Yahoo Answers or Quora.
- Write an update or part two of a post that was popular.
- Set up Google news alerts for key industry terms.
- Listen to someone give a talk and find inspiration for a post.
- Follow A Twitter Chat – see this article for more information:
- Start with a picture – get inspiration from a picture for a post.
- Start with a favorite quote and describe how that applies to your industry.
- Find an infographic and build a post around that or get inspiration from it.
- Look at other industry blog posts and apply some of the headline ideas to your industry.
- Subscribe to other blogs via email or RSS and get inspiration from their posts.
- Ask your readers or social media followers.
- Ask in a group, such as a LinkedIn Group.
- Think about what topics are too complex for your customers and consider how to simplify one of them.
- What do you do every day to solve a problem others might have? Use this as an idea for a post.
- Take a key step of a process and consider writing a post about that.
What are your favorite ways to generate new post ideas?
Let us know in the comments!
And don’t forget to check out the Business Blogging Workshop on Udemy.
Tom Treanor is the founder of the Right Mix Marketing blog. He’s the author of the Search Engine Boot Camp, the co-author of Online Business Productivity, and regularly speaks at industry and corporate events. His writing has been featured on the Content Marketing Institute, Social Media Examiner, Copyblogger and other leading industry blogs.