If people who don’t know you want to find out about you, guess where they look? Facebook? Probably not at first. LinkedIn. Possibly, but probably not the first place they look either.
If people want to find out about you, they’ll most likely “Google You”!Do you know where you rank?
Here are some facts about Name Searches in Google (source Brand Yourself):
- 1 Billion names are seached in Google every day
- 94% of people only look at the first page of results
- Only 2% of people own their entire first page
- About 50% own the first result in Google
- 25% have no positive content and 15% have at least one negative (reputation-damaging) result
So how do you come closer to dominating the results? Well, look to the infographic below, but here are some highlights:
- You need a good LinkedIn profile
- Use a WordPress blog for better rankings
- Don’t just use YouTube (make a Vimeo profile too)
- Make a personal page – consider Zerply, BrandYourself or About.me
Enjoy more details below and let me know how you rank in your own name search!
Infographic source: Brand Yourself
So How Do You Rank?
Let me know in the comments what you discover. Is it consistent with the “average person’s first page of results”? What other sites do you see?