You’ve probably tried your hand at local SEO and found that it’s not as easy as you had hoped. Or maybe you’re just starting out with it and you’re somewhat stuck in the beginning. This is perfectly normal because local SEO is much trickier than your usual search engine optimization. Read on to find out some useful tips that can boost your local search ranking and get you ahead of your competitors.
Understand Local Ranking Factors
The first step to local SEO success is to understand what matters. What plays a role in your local search ranking? What can boost your ranking and what could damage it? According to research conducted by Moz, here are the most important local ranking factors:
1. On-page signals – On-page signals have the most significant impact (20.3%) on your local ranking. These signals include properly documenting your name, address, and phone number and the proper usage of keywords in the titles. Your Domain Authority also affects your local search ranking.
2. Link signals – Coming close to on-page signals are link signals at 20%. The quality of links coming to your website have a huge impact on your local ranking. To improve your rank, improve the quality of your inbound anchor texts and make sure you get plenty of linkbacks from high authority websites.
3. My Business signals – Google My Business plays a huge role in your search ranking and is especially crucial for local rankings. Your GMB signals come third in local ranking factors at 14.7%. Make sure you properly update the categories and accurately use relevant keywords in the title.
Improving Your Local Ranking
The ranking factors described above are only the three most important elements that affect your local ranking. There are several other factors that come into play. But here’s a brief idea of what you can do to improve your local ranking:
- Optimize your Google My Business page with accurate NAP, high-quality images, a keyword-optimized description, and genuine reviews.
- Optimize your site with relevant keywords including location names for titles, content, meta descriptions, and images.
- Build natural local links and citations by participating in local awards and events, partnering with local newspapers, and getting listed on high authority pages like Yelp and the Yellow Pages.
Now you have a better idea what you can do to improve your local search ranking. Interested in learning more? Check out this comprehensive guide to local SEO and watch your rankings rise.